• Patients with grade III malignant astrocytoma ages 1-75 years old
• Absence of concurrent infectious disease
• Normal haematological parameters, absence of autoimmune disease or other significant neoplasms and absence of pregnancy
• 13 patients were enrolled in this trial
o 9 patients with Glioblastoma Multiforme
o 4 patients with Anaplastic Astrocytoma
• 450mL peripheral blood was taken by venous puncture into a blood bag containing anticoagulant, diluted to 1:2 Buffered salt solution HBSS and transferred into 50mL tubes underlayed with Ficoll-paque and centrifuged to obtain PBMCs.
• PBMCs were washed twice with HBSS, resuspended at 107 cells/mL in 1% plasma/RPMI1640 and incubated for 60 minutes at 37oC
• The adherent fraction cultured with rhGM-CSF and rhIL-4 with 1%autologous plasma RPMI1640 for 6 days
All DCV contains 106 cells given Intradermally (ID) into a single site on the abdomen; 6 injections at 2-weekly intervals.
A systemic review of all published clinical trials to document the proportion of patients who had an objective response as defined by WHO criteria or by the Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) after dendritic cell vaccination in melanoma, prostate cancer, malignant glioma and renal cell carcinoma. From this review, it concludes that the clinical benefit of dendritic cell- based immunotherapy is terms of objective response is real, but small. With 8.5% of melanoma patients achieving an objective response, 7.1% of patients with prostate cancer, 15.6% of patients with malignant glioma and 11.5% of patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma.
• 3 patients with anaplastic astrocytoma received Chemotherapy as Pre-vaccination treatment and Post-vaccination treatment
o 1 patient exhibit complete response (CR) for 25 months
o 1 patient exhibits Partial Response (PR) for 16 months
o 1 patient had progressive disease
• 1 patient with anaplastic astrocytoma received Chemotherapy as Post-vaccine treatment only which achieved Partial Response (PR) for 20 months.
• 9 of 13 patients survived for 9 months, 6 of 13 survived for 12 months and 3 of 13 patients for 18 months or longer
Dendritic Cell Vaccine significantly enhances the response to adjuvant Chemotherapy and that it has significant potential in the treatment of this disease.
Article Reference link: click here
Scientific article publishing date : 25/8/2007
Immucura identifier : BSC21_003EN